The AICAD Live Learning Lab, featured at the annual National Arts Educators Association Convention, is a cooperative series in which teams of faculty from AICAD schools lead 50 minute, hands-on, design-centered workshops for K-12 art educators. The program offers teachers a hands-on opportunity to learn how to incorporate design concepts into their curriculum (based on the new arts and media arts standards).
2017 AICAD Live Learning Lab - Featured Workshops
- CCS Design Challenge, College for Creative Studies, Nancy Vanderboom Lausch, PhD (Professor, Chair Art Education), Greg Darby (Assistant Professor Product Design) & Stephen Schock (Assistant Professor Product Design) - Experience hands-on design challenge for K-12 students created by CCS Product Design Department faculty in conjunction with the Art Education Department.
- Teaching K-12 Design Innovation, College or Creative Studies, Nancy Vanderboom Lausch, Professor, Chair Art Education Dept. - This workshop led by two product design professors from CCS will guide you through the design process and provide you with design skills to take back to your classroom.
- Everyday Materials, Marks, and Surreal Design, Maine College of Art, Fern Tavalin (Professor, MAT Chair, EdD, DFA), Kelly McConnell (Director of Art Education Outreach & Associate Professor), Adrienne Kitko (Admissions Officer, MAT) - Design thinking prepares people to work together to creatively face unimaginable challenges. Everyday materials and chance encounters provide impetus for exploration and design. Hands-on activity. Take away inspirations for classroom.
- Methods for Design Thinking and the Challenges of Assessment, Maryland Institute College of Art, Stacey Salazar, Ed.D. (Graduate Director, Master of Arts in Art Education), Becky Sloggers (Social Design Associate, Center for Social Design), Meghann Harris (Design Educator, Baltimore Design School) - Over three consecutive sessions, demonstrations will address phases of design thinking: researching, brainstorming, and prototyping. We will address the challenge of classroom management while experiencing different activities for design thinking.
- Drawing as Thinking, Minneapolis College of Art & Design, Lynda Monick-Isenberg (Professor, Coordinator of Teaching Artist Minor) - a hands-on experience teaching design drawing strategies as an active way of seeing, thinking, and designing and common visual language for developing ideas.
- (1+1=1): An Introduction to constructed metaphors and hybridized forms, Nova Scotia College of Art & Design, April Mandrona, PhD; Anna Sprague, MFA (NSCAD Faculty Members) - Using a raffle-style of selection, each participant will be assigned two distinct items/materials commonly available in the k-12 art classroom. The two objects are combined to create one autonomous form.
- Enhance your Art + Design Curriculum: Design Thinking Activities for K-12, University of the Arts, Barbara Suplee (Professor Art + Design Education), Rande Blank (Professor Art + Design Education), Mrs. Karen Bannett (Alumni MAT in Visual Arts Education) - Teach students to use design thinking as a problem solving process and cycle through two design thinking workshop stations including creating portraits using office supplies and creating chair prototype designs.
Full schedule available HERE
2016 AICAD Live Learning Lab - Featured Workshops